Here are 3 biblical reasons God is probably calling you to pursue marriage one day.
1. Biblically God Calls More People to Marriage Than He Does to Singleness
One of the reasons I am confident that God is calling most of you to marriage is because in the Bible we see that God calls more people to get married than to remain single throughout their whole life.
Certainly God really will call some Christians to a life of singleness. This is just as important as being called to marriage. But while God could call you to either singleness or marriage, he does call more people to marriage than to singleness.
Why does God call more people to marriage than to a life of singleness? Well there are many biblical answers to this question, but here are 3 of the most important:
- Men and women were made to fit together. Right from the beginning, in Genesis 2:18, God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.” Men and women are different but when you put them together their differences perfectly complement one another. Not to be too graphic, but this can be clearly seen in how God designed them sexually and biologically. There’s no mistake about it, a man and woman were made to “fit” well together.
- Marriage is an integral part of the survival of the human race. In Genesis 1:28 it states, “And God blessed them. And God said to them, ‘Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it . . .” Even secular studies have shown over and over again that when the family unit breaks down, societies crumble from within.
- Lastly, God calls most people to marriage because most people are not equipped to thrive in singleness. For example, in 1 Corinthians 7:2 it states, “But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.” God doesn’t just want us to survive during our time on earth. He wants us to thrive in life and ministry, and for most of us, God has not gifted us to do that in singleness.
2. God Calls Most People to Marriage Because Most People Want to Be Married, and If You Want to Be Married This Is a Good Sign You Should Actively Pursue Getting Married One Day
It was kind of funny when last week I posted a video called “3 Signs God Is Calling You to a Life of Singleness.” So many people jokingly confessed in the comments of that video that they were afraid to click on it because they didn’t want to realize God was calling them to a life of singleness. As they all mentioned, they were relieved to watch the video because in it I explained that one sign God is probably calling you to a life of singleness is if you truly want to be single and would be joyful about this calling. Their fear of being called to singleness is a good sign that God is probably not calling you to singleness.
In that video I unpack 1 Corinthians 7 and show that God will often lead us through the desires he gives us. If you have a desire to be married, God is probably calling you to be married. If you want to serve God through a life of singleness like Paul did, God is probably calling you to intentionally remain single.
With these truths in mind, I believe God calls most people to marriage because most people want to be married. Certainly not everyone does, but the vast majority do.
3. Marriage Is a Big Way God Calls Christians to Glorify Him in Front of a Watching World
The last reason I am so confident that God is probably calling most of you to get married one day is because God made marriage to be a big way Christians share the glorious gospel of Jesus Christ in a visible way to the watching world. For Ephesians 5:31-32 states:
’Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.’ This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church.”
Here we can see that God created marriage to be a visible representation of how Christ loves the church. We are made in the image of God, which means we are supposed to live our lives in a way that accurately reflects God. From the beginning God loved his people and was willing to sacrifice his own life for ours. Therefore God made a man and woman to reflect this type of love he has. For as Ephesians 5:24-25 states:
Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands. Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her . . . .”
When the world sees how a Christian husband loves his wife through sacrificial service, they should gain a greater understanding of the way Christ loves them. And when the world sees how a wife loving respects and supports her husband, they should gain a greater understanding of how they are called to love Christ in return.
In short, God calls most Christians to marriage because marriage is a huge way God expresses the love relationship he desires to have with his people.
You may also like:
- 3 Signs God Is Saying, “I Want You Single for…
- Does Porn Use Disqualify You from Christian Dating?
- 4 Reasons God Will Let You Doubt His Blessing Before…
- 6 Reasons Christian Men Should Get Married Young
- 5 Undeniable Signs God Wants You to Pursue a Relationship
- 3 Things God Wants You to Do to Receive His…